Who Is The Best Bank To Bank With
Best banks and credit unions:
- Best overall, best for customer service: Ally Bank.
- Best overall, best for cash-back rewards: Discover Bank.
- Best overall, best for ATM availability: Alliant Credit Union.
- Best overall, best for overdraft options: One.
- Best overall, best for rates: Varo Bank.
- Best overall, best for tools: Chime.
Bank Of America Savings Account Options
While Bank of America has offered lucrative savings accounts in the past, their variable rate savings account offerings today consists of the following:
- Bank of America Advantage Savings
- Minor Savings Account
- Custodial Savings Account for Children
The Bank of America Advantage Savings account is the main savings account that Bank of America offers. Theyve had money market accounts in the past but do not offer these products currently.
All of Bank of Americas savings products, whether a child savings account or Advantage Savings, come with the Keep the Change feature.
The Keep the Change program by Bank of America has been covered by many financial blogs over the years and slight variations of it have been mimicked by other large banks such as the Way2Save program by Wells Fargo.
Keep the Change simply allows you to round up debit card purchases to the nearest dollar and deposit the difference into savings automatically. Making saving money easy and automated.
Of course, to benefit from this program youll need to also open a checking account and conduct your everyday purchases with your BofA debit card. So youll have to weigh this against your current spending method. If you get more rewards out of a credit card or another debit rewards card, it may not be worth the switch at this time. Especially given Bank of Americas extremely low savings rates.
High Rate: American Express National Bank
Overview: American Express is best known for its credit cards. But it also offers a competitive savings account. The account also has no fees and lets you link your external bank account. The company also offers a variety of CDs.
Perks: The online high yield savings account from American Express provides a competitive rate. It doesn’t charge any monthly fees, and it doesn’t require a minimum balance. The ability to link current bank accounts offers an easy solution if you have outside accounts that you’d like to view on one platform.
What to watch for: American Express doesnt have a checking account, so youll need to bank elsewhere to get one. Similar to other online banks, American Express does not have any branch locations. And there’s no mobile check deposit option American Express reserves mobile apps for its credit card customers.
Also Check: How To Activate Bank Of America Debit Card
What Does Bank Of America Offer
As one of the worlds leading financial institutions, Bank of America offers an extensive array of deposit accounts, lending products, and investment choices.
Bank of America provides three checking accounts that can be opened with $100 or less.
- Advantage SafeBalance is a checkless account with a debit card that helps customers stay within their balance. There are no overdraft fees, and the $4.95 monthly fee is waived if you are a student who is under 24 years old.
- Advantage Plus is an everyday checking account whose $12 monthly fee can be waived with a qualifying direct deposit of $250 or more or by maintaining a minimum daily balance of $1,500.
- Advantage Relationship is an account that earns interest on your balances and waives fees for additional checking or savings accounts, incoming domestic wires, and standard check purchases. Its $25 monthly fee is waived when you maintain a combined balance of $10,000 in eligible linked accounts.
Preferred Rewards members get their monthly fees waived on all three checking accounts.
Using another banks ATM will cost you $2.50 per transaction plus whatever the other bank charges. These fees are not waived or reimbursed with your Bank of America checking account.
When you use the banks debit card for purchases, you can enroll in Bank of Americas Keep the Change® program to build your savings. It rounds up your purchases to the next dollar and transfers that amount to your savings account.
How Can I Transfer My Bofa Account To Someone Else
This is an online transfer platform where you can transfer your money from your BofA account via Zelle to someone else with Zelle app. The recipient must be registered with Zelle either using his or her phone number or an email address. Zelle transfers reflect in the recipients account in minutes.
Verify your identity in the app now to sign in to Online Banking. If youre enrolled in this security feature, we sent a notification to your registered device. Verify your identity in the app now to sign in to Online Banking. We cant identify you at this time.
Recommended Reading: Is Chase Pay The Same As Zelle
Should I Have A Savings Account At The Same Bank I Have A Checking Account
Whether you maintain a savings account at the same bank where you have a checking account depends on your goals.
One upside to keeping both accounts at the same bank is that it’s convenient: Generally, banks make transferring and managing money between your accounts fairly easy. You may also find that it’s cheaper to keep multiple accounts at one financial institution some banks will waive fees if you connect your accounts.
The disadvantage of keeping your savings and checking at the same institution is that you may miss out on higher yields. Not all banks offer both checking and savings products, and some banks that offer higher yields on savings may not provide a checking option.
High Rate: Capital One
Overview: In addition to its credit cards, Capital One also provides a range of banking and lending products. Besides the 360 Performance Savings account, which made its debut in September 2019, Capital One also offers CDs, a savings IRA and a checking account.
Perks: The 360 Performance Savings account at Capital One doesn’t have a monthly fee and doesn’t require a minimum balance when you open the account. Also, you don’t have to maintain a minimum in this account and all balances earn the same APY.
What to watch for: There are some accounts at online banks that offer higher yields on savings accounts.
You May Like: Import Bank Statements Into Quickbooks Desktop
Withdrawal Fees For Savings Accounts
Federal regulations allow no more than 6 withdrawals each month from savings accounts, excluding withdrawals made in person, at ATMs or by mail. Banks typically impose their own limits, allowing fewer than 6 transactions and charging $5 to $15 per extra withdrawal up to 6. A few institutions like Capital One and Citibank will not charge a fee but simply deny all extra withdrawals. Some institutions may even respond to 7 or more withdrawals from savings accounts by closing them or converting them into checking accounts.
You can sometimes have withdrawal fees waived if you meet a minimum daily balance set by the institution. These tend to be much higher than the daily minimum needed to avoid monthly fees for example, Bank of Americaâs Regular Savings Account requires a minimum daily balance of $300 to waive the monthly maintenance fee and $2,500 to waive the excessive withdrawal fee.
Find And Use Bank Of America Atm Locations To Help You Avoid Fees
You can avoid these types of ATM fees by using an in-network ATM if you have a Bank of America checking or savings account. Locate your closest Bank of America ATM through three different online methods.
- Method 1: Use search engines like Google or Yahoo. Once you type How to find Bank of America ATMs near me or banks near me in the search bar, a map of all nearby ATM locations and banks will appear.
- Method 2: Use the Bank of America online financial center locator. Once you enter your state and city, a list of BofA ATMs will appear.
- Method 3: Download the Bank of America mobile banking app, which is available from Google Play or the App Store. Once youve downloaded the app, you can use the Find a Location feature to help you locate an ATM near you, but make sure youve enabled your mobile device to allow your current location to appear.
Recommended Reading: Navy Federal Boat Loan Reviews
Are There Any Fees
Yes there are quite a few fees. These include the following:
- $8/month maintenance fee if you dont meet the minimum balance requirement.
- You are allowed six transfers and withdrawals per statement. Going past this amount will result in a $10 fee for each additional transfer and withdrawal. If you maintain a $20,000 daily balance or are enrolled in the Preferred Rewards program, the fee is waived.
- Non-Bank of America ATM usage incurs a $2.50 fee within the U.S. plus any fees charged by the ATM operator. The fee is $5 outside of the U.S. plus ATM operator fees.
- Card replacements are $5.00 per card.
- Statement copies are $5.00 each.
- The non-Bank of America teller withdrawal fee is $5 per transaction or 3% of the dollar amount, up to a $10 maximum.
Is Bofa A Bad Bank
It found itself at the bottom of the heap in a J.D. Power survey of mortgage customers it was the worst-performing bank on last years American Customer Satisfaction Index and the industry publication American Banker recently announced that it has the lousiest reputation among both customers and noncustomers of any Jul 4, 2013.
Also Check: Bank Of America Cashpay Card Routing Number
Bank Of America Additional Fees & Charges
- Overdraft Fee – $35 per overdraft across all accounts except Advantage SafeBalance.
- Insufficient Funds Fee – Unlike overdraft, the NSF fee is charged when a payment is returned due to insufficient balance. Standard fee of $35 per returned item across all accounts except Advantage SafeBalance.
- ATM Withdrawal Fee – $2.50 for out-of-network withdrawals and $5 for international withdrawals.
- International Transaction Fee -3% on all foreign transactions.
- Cashiers Check Fee -$15 per check.
- Replacement Card Fee – $5 per card for standard delivery, $15 per card for rush delivery.
How To Save At Different Points In Your Life
Bankrate’s experts have compiled the following articles to help you save, customized to your age.
- Saving in your 20s: This is a time to develop good saving habits and set a solid foundation for the future.
- Saving in your 30s: This is an important age where many will have important life events.
- Saving in your 40s: At this age, its time to assess how youve done previously and whether you need to alter your savings plan moving forward.
- Saving in your 50s: Saving to cover health-care costs is one thing to save for at this age.
Also Check: Regions Bank Black Friday Hours
How Long Does It Take
A domestic wire transfer sent with Bank of America usually lands in the recipients account within 1-2 business days. For an international wire transfer, 2-3 business days is the norm. But you must make the daily cut off time for wire transfers, which is 5 p.m. ET for both domestic and international wire transfers in either US dollars or foreign currency. Any wire transfer made after this time will be processed the next business day by Bank of America.
Best Online Savings Accounts & Rates Of December 2021
Here are Bankrate’s selections for the best widely available savings account rates from top online banks:
|CIT Bank Review|
*Minimum balance of $25,000 or a monthly deposit of $100 required for APY.
Note: Annual percentage yields shown are as of Dec. 14, 2021. Bankrate’s editorial team updates this information regularly, typically biweekly. APYs may have changed since they were last updated and may vary by region for some products.
Recommended Reading: Td Bank Overdraft Limit Amount
What To Know Before Opening An Account Online
Banks will likely have some slightly different requirements for opening a bank account online. Its good to know ahead of time whats needed to open one so you can have this information ready.
For instance, U.S. citizens will likely need to provide their social security number to open a bank account.
Heres an example of some of the requirements at three of the largest banks in the U.S.
These items can take some time to research or find for those that arent prepared.
|Youll need to either enter this information on the website or take a photo of your ID to submit this information.||Maybe. You might need to visit a Wells Fargo branch.||Yes. A deposit of at least $25 is required.|
Need A Bank Account Without The Fees Or The Anxiety We’re Here To Help
Say hello to OnJuno.
OnJunos FDIC insured High Yield Checking Account can help you earn an industry-leading 1.20% on all deposits. No more anxiety of switching between checking and savings accounts. No account opening fee. No minimum balance. No monthly service fee. No ATM withdrawal fee. No excuses.
Your money should work for you 24/7 at no added cost. Were working tirelessly to ensure this reality. Sign up for priority access at onjuno.com and lock your rates for the year.
Recommended Reading: Wells Fargo Expresssend Online
Enroll In The Preferred Rewards Program
Maintenance fees for eligible Bank of America checking and savings accounts are waived when you enroll in Bank of Americas Preferred Rewards program. Qualification for the Preferred Rewards program tiers is based on having an active Bank of America personal checking account and maintaining a three-month average combined balance across your Bank of America accounts. Minimum balances are $20,000 for the Gold tier, $50,000 for the Platinum tier and $100,000 for the Platinum Honors tier.
Here Are Some Of The Benefits Of A Savings Account:
- Security: Savings accounts at an FDIC-insured bank are federally insured up to at least $250,000, making them great places to stash cash.
- Liquidity: You can access your savings in your account when needed. Savings accounts only allow for up to six withdrawals or transfers per statement cycle, but you won’t have to sell investments in order to get your money out.
- Earnings: The money you keep in a savings account earns interest over time and compounds, offering a return on the principal.
- Higher interest: The best savings accounts usually earn more interest than a checking account and some even have a higher yield than money market accounts.
- Low-fee options: There are many savings account options that either have a $1 minimum balance or no minimum. With these options, its easy to avoid a maintenance fee.
- Access: Many savings accounts allow you to access your savings at ATMs with an ATM card. Just make sure the ATM is in the network to avoid any fees. Also, ATM withdrawals dont count toward your monthly/statement cycle limit of six.
Also Check: What Banks Sell Silver
How To Avoid Monthly Maintenance Fee
Although this account comes with an $8 monthly maintenance fee, you can waive it by meeting one of the following requirements:
- Maintain a minimum daily account balance of at least $500,
- Link it to your Bank of America Interest Checking account, or
- Be a Bank of America Preferred Rewards client
Bank Of America Minor Savings Account
Bank of Americas Minor Savings account, and children savings accounts in general, are great ways to get your kid familiarized with money, budgeting and saving.
They have helpful tools like allowance scheduling and automatic transfers as well as the ability to track purchases and monitor the childs banking activity.
The Minor Savings account must be opened jointly with a parent or guardian, and can be opened with as little as $25. It also comes with zero daily balance requirement and no monthly maintenance fees if the child is under 18 years old.
To open the Minor Saving Account at Bank of America you must first schedule an in-person appointment with a representative. Find a branch and call ahead as rules may have changed due to COVID-19.
Minor Savings Account Rates
|$8 per check for amounts greater than $50|
Don’t Miss: Closest Pnc Atm To Me
Bank Of America Advantage Plus Banking Checking Account
- No overdraft or insufficient funds fees
- Option to add overdraft protection
- Multiple ways to waive the monthly service fee
- $100 to open an account
- $12 monthly maintenance fee if you dont qualify for a waiver
Again, if youre an eligible student under 24, you wont pay monthly maintenance on any account.
If youre not exempt from Bank of Americas monthly fees or looking to avoid monthly service fees altogether it might be time to consider other options.
Average Monthly Fees For Standard Savings Accounts
The most common type of savings account is the standard, no-frills version offered by each major bank, and the most common fee on a standard savings account is the $4 or $5 monthly maintenance fee, which covers the cost of maintaining branch locations and in-person services. Fortunately, you have multiple ways of avoiding that fee.
|Bank of America Regular Savings||$25|
|PNC Regular Savings|
|TD Simple Savings|
The easiest waiver option is to maintain a checking account at the same bank as your savings account, although if you plan to open a new checking account just to waive your savings fee, you should remember that checking accounts come with their own fees. Banks also waive the fee if you set up repeating automatic deposits of a certain amount from your checking to your savings, which most people opt to do anyway. Finally, the minimum daily balance requirement, which starts at $300 for standard accounts at the largest banks, creates an incentive for you to maintain some amount of money in the savings account.
Also Check: Lightstream Boat Loan Reviews