What Is A Bank Statement Used For
Bank statements can be used for monitoring your account, balancing your checkbook, and as proof of your financial activity.
- Monitor your account: You should review your bank statement to ensure that your account is in good standing, that there is no suspicious or incorrect activity on your account, and your personal information is correct.
- Balancing your checkbook: Huntington has a worksheet for balancing your checkbook. Balancing your checkbook is a process that accounts for transactions that happened after the ending date on your bank statement.
How Long to Keep Tax Records and Other Documents- Consumer Reports, Consumer Reports, Updated: February 18, 2019.
Lending products are subject to credit application and approval.
Why Is It Important To Read Your Bank Statement
Your bank statement offers insight into your financial habits. It allows you to discover where your money goes and where you might be able to save money. Your bank statement also provides details about any fees youve been charged and allows you to investigate accounting errors and fraudulent charges.
Using Bank Statements To Set Saving Goals
Using your bank statement to review your spending habits is a great way to help you identify possibilities for saving. Looking at a full overview of your spending gives you the chance to see where you could stand to cut back or tweak your spending habits.
At N26, not only can you quickly and simply access your transaction information via your smartphone, you can also download your statements in PDF form. Want to learn more? Discover our top budgeting tips here.
Also Check: Bank Of America Online Order Checks
Other Things You Can Do With A Bank Statement
Bank statements are useful for lenders, divorce attorneys, credit bureaus, and landlords, but they can also be helpful for you personally. You may choose to use your bank statements to take some of the following actions:
- Track your spending and savings habits. By looking at your statement balances and the itemized list of deposits and withdrawals, you can see how much you’re spending versus saving. This may help you create a budget or adjust your savings contributions. You may even see you’re enrolled in automatic payments for something you had forgotten about, like a streaming service or gym membership, so you can cancel the subscription to cut costs.
- Keep an eye out for mistakes or fraud. Checking your monthly statements to make sure every withdrawal is above board can be a good safety measure. You may see the bank has made a mistake, or you could even realize someone else has been using your debit card information to make purchases.
- Keep records. You may choose to save all your bank statements digitally or receive paper copies. You can hold onto these statements so that if you need access to one from years ago, you have it on file even if a bank has discarded the statement after a number of years.
Benefits Of A Bank Statement
During the reconciliation of their bank account with the bank statement, account holders should check for discrepancies. Account-holders must report discrepancies in writing as soon as possible. A bank statement is also referred to as an account statement. It shows if the bank is accountable with an account holders money.
Bank statements are a great tool to help account holders keep track of their money. They can help account holders track their finances, identify errors, and recognize spending habits. An account holder should verify their bank account on a regular basiseither daily, weekly, or monthlyto ensure their records match the banks records. This helps reduce overdraft fees, errors, and fraud.
If any discrepancies are found, they must be reported to the bank in a timely manner. Account-holders usually have 60 days from their statement date to dispute any errors. They should keep monthly statements for at least one year.
Refrain from checking your bank account online while connected to a public wi-fi network. Hackers can more easily access your private information when you are connected to the same network.
Also Check: Does Chase Bank Do Zelle
How To Download Bank Statements
If you use Online Banking, itâs the easiest way to get your bank statements ready to send to us. Bank statements will normally include:
Your bankâs logo!
Business name and registered address
Sort Code and Account Number
All transactions, with inflows, outflows and balance
NB: some banks also give you the option to âexport transactionsâ as a spreadsheet â lenders will not accept these.
How To Find And Correct Mistakes On Bank Statement
If you want to find mistakes and correct them on the bank statement then here are the step to find out and correct mistakes on the bank statement.
- First of all, read the information, check personal and account information to make sure thats your account statement.
- After that, read the transaction summary. First, check all expenditures and deposits.
- Tally your calculation with the total balance.
- If you see any error recheck the statement summary, check the date, place, and amount you sent or received.
- Sometimes some amount is deducted by the bank for its services.
- So, if you find any error in the bank statement then you can contact the bank, your agent, or auditor. They will make you understand and help to solve the error.
Also Check: Regions Bank Ringgold Road
What Is A Bank Statement
Bank statements are a record of all the credits and debits to your bank account during a specific period. The statement may show your bank account number, along with a list of transactions, including direct deposits, debit card purchases, withdrawals from ATMs and overdraft fees from that statement period. The bank statement may also show the accounts beginning and ending balance for the period.
Many banks will assign monthly statement periods to their bank accounts and send you monthly statements. However, accounts that dont see frequent transactions, such as a certificate of deposit accounts might see quarterly statements.
Banks typically need to keep customer account records for deposit accounts for at least five years. Some choose to retain records for longer, but you wont necessarily find all your previous statements through your online banking platform. If you dont see a bank statement youre looking for through your online account, or youve closed your account and dont have online access, you may still be able to request a physical or electronic copy .
How Often Can I Get A Bank Statement
Theres typically no limit to how often you can download available statements or how many bank statements you can review online. However, there may be a fee each time you request a printed or mailed statement.
Banks arent generally required to send you a monthly statement for your deposit account if there wasnt an electronic transfer into or out of the account during the month. Many banks may still create a monthly statement for checking and savings automatically though. But you might only receive quarterly statements for other account types, such as CD or retirement accounts.
Recommended Reading: Does Varo Have Cardless Atm
How To Read A Bank Statement
Your bank statement shows your transactions from a checking or savings account over a certain statement period.
Each statements summary generally contains these basic sections:
- The starting account balance
- Your deposits
- Your withdrawals
- Any interest the account earned
- Any fees charged by the bank
Use bank statements to monitor your spending and your deposits. In addition, a mortgage lender might also ask to see your bank statements to make sure you have enough to make monthly payments or to ensure that no suspicious deposits have occurred recently.
How Are Bank Statements Created
Each time you make a transaction, your bank makes a record of it. These records are then compiled to create a bank statement. Usually covering a one-month period, statements include your incoming salary or payments, any transfers or deposits made, and cash withdrawals. They also provide a starting and end balance, so that youve got a clear idea of where your finances are at the close of the month compared to its start.
Recommended Reading: Which Banks Sell Silver Bars
Receive Statements In The Mail
Some banks automatically mail paper bank statements to your home, while others give you the option to sign up for paper statements or will send one upon request. This can be a good option if you don’t have a computer, smartphone, printer, or reliable internet access.
Certain institutions will charge a few dollars for sending you a paper statement, so you may want to confirm any fees before signing up for paper statements.
When Would You Need A Bank Statement
It’s likely you’ll need to access your bank statement every so often mainly if you’re applying for a service that requires proof of income. Here are some of the most common times you’ll need to show a bank statement:
- Applying for a loan. Your approval and interest rate for a loan including a mortgage, car loan, personal loan, or private student loan partially depend on your income. Providing a bank statement is an easy way to verify employment and income.
- Refinancing your home. Even though you’ve already taken out a mortgage, you’ll still need to show a bank statement when you refinance the home.
- Renting a place to live. Most landlords want evidence you earn two or three times the amount of rent before they accept your application.
- Filing your taxes. You’ll need that bank statement every year when you file your taxes.
- Disputing a credit report. If you check your credit score and see you’ve been incorrectly penalized for something like a missed payment, you can call to dispute an error. You may need to show a bank statement to back up your claim that you made a payment.
- Qualifying for Medicaid. Medicaid is an income-based program, so you need proof income to be eligible.
- Filing for divorce. You’ll need to provide documentation of individual and shared assets when you get divorced, including bank accounts.
Read Also: Venmo.com/verifybank
A Guide To Bank Statements For Your Mortgage
Lenders consider a number of mortgage qualifications during the loan application process, from the type of property you want to buy to your credit score. Your lender will also ask you for a few different financial documents when you apply for a mortgage including your bank statements. But what does your bank statement tell your mortgage lender, besides how much you spend per month? Read on to learn everything your lender might glean from the numbers on your bank statement.
To Access Your Account Statements In Online Banking:
- From the Accounts Summary page, select Statements/Documents.
- On the View eDocuments tab, follow the instructions under Search eDocuments to download and view your document.
You’ll be able to view your last 6 statements. You can also select a different statement period by using the dropdown menu. You’ll only be able to see the statements for accounts you’ve switched to electronic.
Only accounts that youâve switched to electronic documents will be available. If you donât see the statement that youâre looking for, give us a call at 1-800-769-2511.
Read Also: Chase Quickpay With Zelle
What Information Is On A Bank Statement
At the top of the statement, youll usually find your account number, the bank branch provider, your full name and home address, as well as the beginning and ending period of the statement. Next, youll find the full list of transactions made within the statements timeframeessentially all payments that came into your accounts, and all outgoing payments. Each transaction will show the date it was processed and may also include some information about who the payment was to or from.
What’s In A Bank Statement
The starting account balance, the amount at end of the last billing cycle.
Your deposits, the money received in your account, such as direct deposits, checks and electronic transfers.
Your withdrawals, the amount taken out of the account, such as purchases, sent electronic transfers and ATM cash withdrawals.
Any interest the account earned, noting the annual percentage yield, or APY, and dollar amount.
Any fees charged by the bank, such as a monthly service charge.
The ending account balance.
You May Like: Ibc Bank Statement
Bank Statements With N26
At N26, you can track your financial activity as often as you wanthourly, daily, or weekly! Easily view transactions via your mobile or web appand rest assured that all your bank statements are securely and safely stored for your peace of mind.
To view your statements, open your home screen and click through on the three horizontal bars, then tap the Balance Statement tab. Log into your N26 account today to get accessible reports in just a few taps.
Is The Bank Required To Send Me A Monthly Statement On My Checking Or Savings Account
Yes, in many cases. If electronic fund transfers can be made to or from your account, banks must provide statements at least monthly summarizing any EFTs that occurred each month. The statements include information about each transaction, including transaction-related fees, and beginning and ending account balances. The bank must provide quarterly statements even if no EFTs occurred.
In any case, if the bank provides periodic statements, at least quarterly the statements must include:
- The annual percentage yield earned during the statement period, using that term.
- The dollar amount of interest earned during the statement period, and whether it was credited.
- The type and dollar amount of any fees that were debited from the account during the statement period.
- The total number of days in the statement period, or the beginning and ending dates of the period.
Last Reviewed: April 2021
Please note: The terms “bank” and “banks” used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency . Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on HelpWithMyBank.gov should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.
Don’t Miss: Chase Boat Loan Rates
What Do Underwriters Look For In Bank Statements
Lenders use a process called underwriting to verify your income. Underwriters conduct research and assess the level of risk you pose before a lender will assume your loan. Once underwriting is complete, your lender will tell you whether or not you qualify for a home loan. Here are a few red flags that underwriters look for when they check your bank statements during the loan approval process.
How Long Should I Keep My Bank Statements
How long you keep your bank statements is a personal choice. Many people destroy their statements as soon as theyve reviewed the information and made sure everything is correct. If you need to check a transaction online, many banks will allow you to go as far back as seven years from the time you register for online statements.
Checking your bank statements regularly is crucial. Not only can you identify potential fraud, but you can also monitor your spending and saving. Bank statements may also be required when applying to rent a home or receive a mortgage. Think of your bank statements as another tool that can help you reach your financial goals.
Don’t Miss: Chase Bank Quick Pay
Extra Tips On Getting Bank Certificate And/or Bank Statement
- You can get both a bank statement and a bank certificate
- Fees may be different, sometimes the Bank Certificate is more expensive but for Bank Statement you may be charged per month
- Should you be out of the country, contact your bank so that you can know how to get an authenticated Bank Certificate or Statement.
Having the exact visa requirements is a step in getting your visa approved. I hope you know now the difference between a Bank Certificate and Bank Statement and getting it for your visa applications. I highly suggest having a bank account so that you dont have to worry about this requirement. In case you dont have one, we have tips on how to get a visa without a bank account. Good luck!
About the Writer
Hey, Im Lyza! I once was a person who just imagined going to places one day but decided to pursue my dreams. My first travel abroad was in Japan, solo, last 2018, and fell in love with the journey since. Im aiming to visit 10 countries before turning 30 and 2 new places in the Philippines every year. Besides traveling, I love organizing trips, photography, reading, and making new friends. Follow my adventures through my .
Checking Bank Statements For Fraud
Reviewing your bank statements regularly can help you spot any unauthorized payments on your account so that you can flag them to your bank right away. With N26, you can enable push notifications whenever a transaction takes place on your account, so that you can quickly spot any suspicious activity.Open a free N26 account today to access a host of security features, including fingerprint identification, face recognition, and discrete mode to blur your screen to others when accessing your banking details in public.
Also Check: How To Edit A Bank Statement
Keeping Your Bank Statements Secure
Bank statements include highly personal information, such as your name, account number, and address. This means that if they do fall into the wrong hands, they could be used for fraudulent activity. Thats why its important to make sure you keep your bank statements somewhere safe, and always use a shredder when disposing of them. Never ever share your bank details with someone you dont trust, and make sure you know the fraud policies at your bank. For its part, N26 will never ask you for private information about your account via email.